We consider you part of the Morehead Church family the moment you walk in the door. You don’t have to become a member to belong to the family!
Membership, however, is a commitment to the ministry and mission of Morehead Church. It is a way of saying, “Morehead Church is my church! I believe in what God is doing here, and I want to grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ here, with these people. I commit my very best – my time, my talent, and my treasure – to the ministry of God here.”
The commitment to church membership is built upon your commitment to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, which we believe starts in baptism. If you were baptized previously, you do not need to be baptized again. Baptism is by water and the Holy Spirit, and we believe the Holy Spirit gets it right the first time! Even when we don’t hold up our commitments, God’s faithful promises to us in baptism still stand. We accept all Christian baptisms, regardless of tradition, as valid.
People become members by a variety of methods:
1. Baptism and profession-of-faith: those never baptized previously, whether as a child or adult, and have never been a member of another church.
2. Restoration of faith: those baptized previously, whether as a child or adult, but are not active members of any church.
3. Transfer: those members in good standing in another church, whether United Methodist or other denomination.
4. Affiliate member: for those who are full members of another United Methodist Church, but wish to officially affiliate with Morehead while retaining their home church membership. This is an option often exercised by part-time residents, or those with strong family connections to another church.
5. Associate member: for those who are full members of another non-United Methodist Church, but wish to officially affiliate with Morehead while retaining their home church membership.
What am I committing to if I become a member?
- Attend worship at Morehead weekly unless you are sick, out-of-town, or working.
- Participate in at least one activity each year designed to help you grow in your faith (Sunday School, Bible study, accountability group, small group, spiritual retreat, etc.).
- Give of your time at least once a year through the ministry of Morehead.
- Give to fund the ministries of Morehead in proportion to your income, with the goal of tithing (10%).
These commitments are not stringent requirements to be “enforced” or used punitively. Rather, they demonstrate practices that are consistent in the lives of people who wish to grow as deeply-committed followers of Jesus Christ. We believe that persons who commit to these practices will grow in their relationships with God and with each other.
Growing in God’s grace to become a loving, Christlike person, we ask all members to
- Be positive and joyful.
- Seek opportunities to serve others before themselves.
- Be teachable in all areas.
- Be slow to speak and quick to listen
In all relationships with others inside and outside the church, we ask all members to
- Demonstrate respect and grace.
- Accept differences and value diversity.
- Publicly support other members, church leaders, staff, and the pastor.
- Avoid damaging words and actions toward others, including gossip.
Members are formally received into the church during the Sunday morning worship service of their choice, on a date agreed upon by the new member and the pastor. For more information about becoming a member of Morehead United Methodist Church, please contact our pastor.