Morehead UMC began as a small, rural congregation, but it’s always been very alive with the Spirit and leaning forward.
The origins of Morehead United Methodist Church go back to 1888, when Morehead Chapel was organized and a church building raised on a tract of land donated by the Morehead family. The building was located on what is now US Hwy 220 North (Battleground Ave), and served as a meeting place for 37 years.
In 1925, the church bought the Piney Grove School building on Horse Pen Creek Road and used it as a sanctuary for 45 years. In December 1969, construction of the present sanctuary began and was completed in June 1970.
Joyner Memorial Methodist Church was established in 1915 in memory of the Reverend Peter H. Joyner and his wife, Emma White Joyner. The church was located on what is now Old Battleground Road. On June 1, 1970, Joyner Memorial and Morehead were officially merged to become Morehead United Methodist Church.
The facility continued to receive upgrades and changes through the years to accommodate a growing congregation. Rev. Jonathan Coppedge-Henley became Morehead’s first full-time pastor in 1997.
On January 22, 2006, the Clay and Blanche Walker Fellowship Hall, a new kitchen, and a gathering area were consecrated in memory of the Walkers, whose generous bequest made the new addition possible. This Fellowship Hall became the home of our 9:00 am contemporary worship service every Sunday, and provided much-needed dining and activity space for our growing congregation.
The addition of classrooms in the level of the addition below the Fellowship Hall provided space for children, youth, and young adult classes.
The mortgage on the addition was paid off and burned on February 9, 2014 – a full 13 years ahead of schedule.
The Morehead Church has experienced its most dramatic and transformative growth in the last decade, with the addition of new worship services and several paid staff. We have been blessed by every single person who has come into our congregation, and we have made the transition from being a small, rural church to a growing, mid-size community church. Northwest Greensboro has certainly changed since 1888, and Morehead Church reflects those changes.
We have found that all the things that make Morehead great are not related to our size, but to our heart. At heart, we are still a warm, caring, inclusive, welcoming congregation; and that won’t change, no matter how large we get! We genuinely love God and love other people, and we know that our primary purpose is to help everyone get to know God, not just each other.
Morehead Church is growing in God’s love, come and grow with us!